Civil Protection, Army, Fire Brigade, and other special entities are units that have to cope with extraordinary events and operate in extreme situations, this often requires special equipment and customized solutions for special needs.
Let’s take the example of the 39 Icarus 40.14 telehandlers supplied by Dieci srl to the German Bundesanstalt Technisches Hilfswerk (Federal Agency for Technical Relief, or THW).
Being vehicles designed to operate in any emergency conditions, the THW required special equipment.
A prototype was prepared thanks to the cooperation between the Dieci Research and Development department, Dieci Deutschland in Giessen, and the dealer Tiedemann Werksvertretungen.
The modified Icarus 40.14 is an exceptional vehicle ready to work in disasters and unforeseen situations.
The cab equipment include:
- air filtration system against the entrance of harmful substances
- heated pneumatic seat
- rear infrared camera with 7″ monitor
- air cylinder
- heated wing mirrors
- wheel alignment indicator light
- windscreen protective shield
- right side windscreen wipers
- digital transceiver with speaker and antenna
- Webasto air heating system
- TUV certified 6kg fire extinguisher
In addition, the vehicle has been equipped with:
- heaters and electric socket for engine starting, to operate also in polar climates
- three additional hydraulic sockets that provide power take-offs for additional accessories
- 15-ton tow hitch
- several additional LED lights both in the cab and on the boom head, to operate in low visibility conditions
- rotating light with siren typical of rescue vehicles
- 800 kg passenger basket
Without needing a full customization of this model, the Dieci telehandlers have a wide range of accessories that make them extremely versatile and super-functional machines.
In case of snow, for example, a self-leveling snow plough blade turns a telehandler into a manageable snow plough, which can even reach roofs.
A rotating hydraulic grapple/saw can be used for securing large trees.
This Kinshofer KM 634-0.35-3Z grapple mounted on a rotary telehandler with a lifting height of almost 30 meters (like the Pegasus 45.30) allows cutting the highest peaks and branches, logs weighing up to 2000 kg.
Above all, it manages this operation in total safety, even near buildings.
Thanks to the telescopic boom, the branch is simultaneously grasped and cut and then gently placed on the ground.